Report on Spinning on the Wind by Shirley Jennings

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Aero SP AT-4 (Gobosh 700X), TAG Titanium Explorer
A very well spent $4.00 for the Kindle edition. I believe it compares very favorably with A Dream of Flight by Igor Bensen.

Although the early portions of the book seem to indicate a big picture look at early gyroplane development in the UK, it quickly settles down to describe, in some detail, the life and endeavors of a particular gyronaut; Ernie Brooks. Mr. Brooks was unknown to me by name, but I have known of his spiritual kin for many decades. Chuck Vanek, Ernie Boyette, Igor Bensen, Ken Brock, Dennis Fetters, Don Farrington, The Haseloh brothers, David and Jay Groen, Ray Umbaugh, Denis Schoemaker, etc. All have tried, with varying degrees of success, to build on their dream of autorotative flight.

Her descriptions of building gyros in the 60's was spot on. I remember building many sets of wooden rotor blades in the late 60's. I didn't know any better, so I liked the way they flew. The gentlest of pats would make them start to turn. The smell of Resorcinol glue still evokes fond memories.

I won't steal more of Shirley's thunder by describing her work more fully. It is quite well written as homage to a group of folks who shared a love of gyroplanes in the days when you rolled your own or went without.

I enjoyed the book. You can get your copy here: Amazon.com:Spinning on the Wind: A Gyronaut’s Tale eBook : Jennings, Shirley:Kindle Store

Jim

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks interesting I'll give it a read.
One line in the intro on Amazon that caught my attention, that probably applies to far more in life than just gyroplanes
"It’s a fine line between rapture and tragedy"

Looks interesting I'll give it a read.
One line in the intro on Amazon that caught my attention, that probably applies to far more in life than just gyroplanes
"It’s a fine line between rapture and tragedy"
I experienced something like that the first time I blew through 1000ft. on Greg's fuel injected Hirth powered Dominator,
It was more like a fine line between abject terror and exhilaration though!

If you navigate https://spinningonthewind.com don't forget to explore the drop downs on the right side of most pages labeled "categories."

Included therein are several delightful vignettes. The author paints word pictures that bring the short memoirs to life.

Worth a read for the entertainment and an insight into the author's persona.

Warning: you may not agree with all the statements on aerodynamics in her book or on her web site, but she appears willing to incorporate new knowledge as she learns it. She does not claim to be a guru, but rather an enthusiast willing to share her good fortune using words and concepts to the best of her ability.

Jim

Thanks Jim (blush)

I’m not an academic by any means – I’m actually a most unlikely pilot! – but I’ve survived. I’ve survived because of the way I was taught, and the knowledge it gave me by learning that particular way.

It’s sad to see this same knowledge being casually dismissed as no longer valid in a modern world, while the wreckage keeps piling up. Closed minds dismiss the opinions of respected veterans like Marion Springer, Chris Burgess, Mike Boyette, Doug Riley, and the highly experienced muster pilots like Birdy and Wolfy, while the wreckage keeps piling up.

To read that a CFI didn’t understand what Leigh was saying about using the wind to work a slow rotor, pretty much sums up the state of training today (the same CFI who told me I shouldn’t be flying a 29 year old gyroplane!). It’s actually pretty damning.

We’re not saying exclusively go back to old ways, just incorporate them to give students the best of both worlds and make sure they have EVERY piece of the puzzle – be it gadgetry or old school instincts. I don’t understand the resistance to giving them the best possible chance to survive. So it may take a bit longer: it’s heck of a lot quicker and cheaper than rebuilding a trashed machine and we’re a long time dead.

I’ve been hitting my head against this particular wall for over two decades (hence Short Hops) – it’s just as frustrating as Mike feels with his GWS.

Anyway, I’m off to France to fly my 29 year old gyroplane...
(Hi Fred!)