Inspection question

Always assumed it stands for "manufacturing". There's some national variation in how one picks the parts of speech to use in descrbing a business concern. Might be a gerund here?

I was always fond of the German abbreviation GmbH (Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung) that gets handled with just Ltd (Limited) for English.

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
The reason I wanted to know was I was going to post an article about some mechanics that do annual inspections on different aircraft like rotorwing and LSA. Then they write in the logbook that they did an inspection according to the Part 43 checklist when there is a published checklist from the aircraft / engine MFG. It's more common than many think. Overall inspection language is under Part 43, but not necessarily to use that checklist. The Part 43 FAA checklist is very general and compared to a published aircraft MFG checklist for an inspection it would fall way short and you'd leave items out that are specific to that aircraft. FAA says if the aircraft MFG has a published checklist you must use that one and not the Part 43 checklist.

So I was just trying to educate myself on rotorwing annual inspections and on whether the rotorwing MFGs all published their own inspection checklist. I figured there were several different rotorwing pilots here with different aircraft that would chime in on whether their Mfg published its own checklist.
Roger,
Thanks for your reply.
I assume that you have read through Tommy Milton and Jeff Tipton's posts.
They give pretty good insight to your question.
The mechanics in question sign it off that way because that is how they were taught and they are correct.
Bottom line is that All checklist used for the Condition/Annual inspection must include the items that pertain to the aircraft being inspected in FAR 43 appendix D. The checklist can certainly include more items than those listed in 43 D. If the item is not installed it can't be inspected and that item is skipped. If the kit builder publishes a checklist I would definitely use that but I still state in the sign off that I followed the scope and detail of Part 43 D since the the checklist must include all pertainent items from it.
I hope this answers you question.
Just for fun you might try reaching out to your local A&P/IAs and see how they answer this same question.
Cheers.

Rick

Roger,

Are any of those mechanics in Texas? Preferably Central Texas. My A&P that did my owner-assist inspections retired and I haven't found anyone else locally that will inspect an Experimental. I have 2 that are due. A tandem gyro with a Subaru and a Rans S10 with 582.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric:

Is Houston to far? Matt, one of my CFIs, has an AP there.

Bobby