Help with finishing a KB3 in Georgia

Bobby Rickels

KB3 GYRO. This is a new build still in progress. (This as a project, but never worked on by recently deceased owner.) Rotax Rick built 0 time, 582 blue head (65hp), electric start, with a new B-box, Ernie Boyette's (RDF) tall tail, and Gyro Jake's 10 gallon seat tank, with 23’ McCutcheon composite blades. No N-number. Am considering purchase but need input on registration issues and estimated cost to finish.
1710693377864.png

First item to consider is if you can get an Airworthiness Certificate for it. Normally if I remember correctly a KB3 does meet the Ultralight 254 lbs limit. But with the tall tail, wheel brakes and 582 engine I am not sure it will meet the weight limit.

Do you have any pictures from the previous builder documenting his part of the build. You also need a builder log. If you have those then you should be able to complete the build and get the AW certificate. Since you can have more than one person building the aircraft but only one person can apply for the Repairman's Certificate.

Approx costs for a DAR to certify your aircraft can vary between $600-$1,000 plus mileage. Although I had one person tell me a DAR quoted him something like $5,000 to certify his gyro. I recommended him a DAR for $600.

First item to consider is if you can get an Airworthiness Certificate for it. Normally if I remember correctly a KB3 does meet the Ultralight 254 lbs limit. But with the tall tail, wheel brakes and 582 engine I am not sure it will meet the weight limit.

Do you have any pictures from the previous builder documenting his part of the build. You also need a builder log. If you have those then you should be able to complete the build and get the AW certificate. Since you can have more than one person building the aircraft but only one person can apply for the Repairman's Certificate.

Approx costs for a DAR to certify your aircraft can vary between $600-$1,000 plus mileage. Although I had one person tell me a DAR quoted him something like $5,000 to certify his gyro. I recommended him a DAR for $600.
Thank you, I figured with the larger fuel tank, the tail and such it doesn't meet Part 103. I have asked if there is a builders log and pictures and have been waiting for a reply.